Upmarket dating johannesburg currier ives dating prints
Diagonal Street in the east has traditionally marked the border between the Central Business District (CBD) and Newtown.
The name ‘Newtown’ was adopted by city administrators in 1904 following the clearance of Brickfields and other multi-racial 'slums' in Johannesburg’s first forced removal.
The Johannesburg Art Gallery is located in Joubert Park which remained a fashionable neighbourhood until the 1960s – and today includes cultural institutions such as the Johannesburg Art Gallery and the Drill Hall.
As African migrants flocked to the gold fields, a distinct musical culture developed in the shantytowns and mine compounds.
Lord Alfred Milner, 1st Viscount (1854 - 1925) was a leading British statesman and colonial administrator who played a significant role in the redevelopment of South Africa following the South African War (1898 - 1902).
The south and northbound M1 freeway overpass dissects Newtown and adjacent Fordsburg in the west, while the railway lines to the north mark the border between Newtown and Braamfontein.
In the southern boundary (along with Market Street) the Johannesburg Central Police Station visually forms the border between Newtown and the historic Ferreira’s Town in the south.
In the early days, such entertainment was concentrated around ' Frenchfontein' - home to the City’s many music halls and brothels.
Before 1900, Johannesburg boasted four theatres: the Standard, the Globe, the Royalty and the Gaiety. The Globe theatre, built in 1889, was the first permanent entertainment venue but was destroyed in a fire after only six months of operation.
The precinct can be divided into the Market Precinct (located north of the square) which is dominated by the 1913 Market Building - home to the Market Theatre and Museum Africa.